The communications department in the division of strategic enrollment management and student success (SEMSS) Communications serves as a central resource to ensure the consistency and effectiveness of communications across all the units within SEMSS. The communications team is dedicated to collaborating with colleagues both in thee division and throughout the university to support a culture of care that aids in recruitment and retention initiatives. Specifically the communications team:
- Creates strategic and comprehensive communications.
- Ensures the correct use of the VCU brand.
- Showcases our dynamic student support services, programs and resources.
- Shares Information with members of the campus and local communities, students, parents and families, alumni, business partners, the media, and more.
Comprehensive communications planning
As you begin to think about how your department should best communicate with its target audiences, make sure you include us in your INITIAL planning. Allow us to assist you in creating a comprehensive communications plan- let us use our expertise to help you develop your message, suggest the best ways to disseminate that message, and create a feasible timeline for implementation
Writing and editing
Creative strategy consultations
- Social Media
- Websites (development and maintenance)
Talk to us
Let’s discuss what you need. Perhaps you have an idea in mind that we can expand on; or perhaps we can offer a more creative solution. Let’s talk about it in advance so we can successfully plan to give you a great product.
More time provides more opportunity for us to work with you to come up with creative strategies and solutions.
Submit a request
All projects must have a ticket submitted in order for us to start our work and track our progress along the way. Provide us with as many details as possible, including any desired goals/outcomes.
Our turn around times vary depending on the scope of the project, but realistically you can expect:
- 2-3 weeks for brochures, flyers, postcards, infographics
- 4-6 weeks for booklets, reports
- 1-2 weeks for website updates
- 4-6 weeks for webpage development (new pages)
- 2-3 weeks for graphic design requests
- For additional information about turnaround times click here: (THIS DOCUMENT HAS TO BE REVISED original outline drafted in 2018)
Discuss goals and verify plans
Your communications representative will reach out to you to discuss your project, talk through your goals and confirm the plans to move forward with production.
Most projects will have many moving parts behind the scenes, including content writing, designing graphics, getting price quotes (i.e. for printing), etc. Project times vary depending on the requirements for completion and other projects that are already in production. Once again, early planning is beneficial for all parties involved.
Once proofs are ready for review, you’ll have a chance to approve the project for completion/printing or request any final edits. After final approval has been received, we’ll turn over assets to you for use and/or prep files to go to print.
Project complete! If you need to access information or files in the future, we keep an archive of our work for reference.